Wednesday, October 27, 2010

It's Kind Of A Funny Story

I am currently reading a book called " It's kind of a funny story" by Ned Vizzini. So far, what I think about the book is that it's a really great book and I like how the writer describes things like the setting or a situation that's about to happen or is happening.

In ELA this week, we are talking about social justice and if there is social justice happening in our books. In my book, the main character Craig, wants to have a great future. He gets into a high school and soon, the pressure gets to him. Then, he nearly kills himself. Since he planned on killing himself, he got checked into a mental hospital. So, i think that this has to do with social justice because there are people all around that world that are killing themselfs either becuase they're stressed, harrased or just a loser in life. I think that my book sends out a message to the world because people who commit suicide don't realizethat this is actually a really big issue that most people have to deal with.

I think that if people read this book and see what it's trying to tell you, then they might
realize how serious this can be. And I also feel like I have to say that when people make jokes about commiting suicide, I dont find it funny at all. I really dont get how such a serious thing like suicide can be funny. When I hear things like this coming from my friends, it kind of breaks my heart a little that they would even think of suicide even if they mean it or not. So, if you plan on reading this book, tell me what you think about it and what you think that message is.

2 comments:

  1. Francelee,

    Great job unpacking the social action issue of your book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow this is intense keep studying the social actions its going to get you pretty far in finding deeper meaning it your book

    ReplyDelete