Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Ah Romeo & Juliet

I loved the modern version of Romeo and Juliet. It was so amazing and exciting and just breath taking. I thought that the language of Shakespeare was at first hard to understand, but you have to "unpack" the sentences and metaphors, as Ms. Robbins says, so that you actually have an understanding of what he's trying to say.

A theme that I want to focus on was the hate/rivalraies that went on with the Montagues and the Capulets. In the beginning of the movie, there was a fight scene that broke out at the gas station. I think the movie started out with a fight scene to make us realize how strong and powerful the hate between the Montagues and the Capulets was. Then I thought, if the Montagues and the Capulets hated eachother that much, I wonder how hard it was going to be for Romeo and Juliet to be together. I thought about all the things that they would have to get through in order to be together. I also remember i think Benvolio (Romeo's cousin) saying that the hate was between their masters, but I also saw that Tybolt (a Capulet) and Romeo (a Montague) were the ones that were mostly in battle with eachother beacuse in one part of the movie, Romeo shoots Tybolt because earlier in the movie, Tybolt shot Romeo's best friend Merrcucio, so later on, Romeo told Tybolt that one of us has to go with Merrcucio, and since at that time Romeo had the gun, he shot Tybolt and he died. So, when the Capulets found out about Tybolt's death, I think that caused much more hate between the Montagues and the Capulets.

No comments:

Post a Comment